Pages

4/30/11

Careful

First off, I'll start by congratulating the Donators on their first win. We played a team that also had a bunch of newbies and people out to just have fun. So we actually beat them. I'll admit it was fun getting a W. I hit a couple homeruns, and struck out... twice. Ugh, it pains me still; it's slow pitch softball for goodness sakes! I watched the first beautiful pitch go by, and then foul tipped the second uglier pitch. Since we only get 2 strikes and foul tips count as strikes, that was enough to send me back to the dugout.
We had a slew of muscle pulling injuries from the ladies. Two of them running from first to second, and the other running to first. Who needs to learn how to warm up?! Weeee dooo! Even the umpire said the next time he saw us, he'd make us do a couple laps before playing. Ouch. The second game was cut a little short due to lightning, but we played enough to make it count as a full game, and we were winning, so it counts. We went out afterwards to celebrate at Northside Grill which was right down the street from the field and had a big bar and surprisingly good food.

Thursday morning I woke up with a sore throat. Not sure if it was from the stresses of softball, the tuna at Northside Grill, or the random cold. But it quickly progressed and I left a couple hours early from work. Thinking it was the 29th, even though it was only the 28th, I made gnocchi's and chicken soup. Both were good, but I felt like a fool on Friday (the 29th) and realized I made them a day too early. I blame it on the brain haze of the cold.

Friday was a gorgeous weather day, and even though I had a cold, I'd decided to play disc golf and go for a bike ride. Cold be damned. I got plenty of sleep and Maddog and I still got to the disc golf course before most people. Came home and thought I'd adjust the brakes on my commuter as I just got new slick tires for the old rims and changed the rotors from another set of rims. Anyway, as I was adjusting the brakes, the tip of my left pointer finger got in the way of the spinning rotor. What came next was very unpleasant.

I knew it was bad as soon as I heard it. I grabbed my finger and ran to the bathroom to wash it off and see the damage. It stung a little when I put it in the cold water, and I felt a little light headed. I bent over and had my elbows on the edge of the sink while my hands were under the water. When I saw the chunk of my fingernail wash down the drain I got REALLY light headed..... then I remember thinking, "why am I boxed in here.... why can't I move my leg" and then I realized I was laying on my bathroom floor and I was up against the tub and the wall and was pushing on the base of the cabinet with my foot. I had completely blacked out and taken most of the things on the counter with me. My head was covered in sweat, but thankfully, I hadn't bled everywhere. That's probably one of the scarier moments in my life. I immediately checked my head to see if I'd hit it on anything when I fell, and thankfully my coconut seemed fine.  If you're so inclined, you can click here a see a picture of my finger. It's really not as bad as it could've been.

I stayed low to the ground for the next half hour or so while I stopped sweating and tried to comprehend what just happened. Unfortunately, I was unable to go riding because of the new finger injury and you know, that slight fear of, what if I pass out again?  Thankfully, everything seems fine now. I chalk it up to having a cold, being on some cold pills, and the idea that I could've lost a lot more than a good chunk of fingernail. Nails grow back, fingers don't. A word to the wise, careful with those rotors.

No comments: