Pages

7/7/11

Rear end (updated)

My mom brought Maddog back to Richmond today at lunch time. I left work and met my mom at my new place so she could see it and drop the dog off. We had lunch and walked around the block before I started back to work and she headed back to Hampton.

I figured, while I was out, I'd take my bike over to the shop to get my new cranks installed. I figured I'd drop it off and get it back tomorrow (friday) in time for an early afternoon ride. On the way to the shop, with my bike on the bike rack hanging off the trunk, I got rear ended.  

I had the insurance inspector take a couple official pictures before moving the bike as they were too busy to do the full inspection, but after that was done, I went to the bike shop, but instead of crank installation, I had them look the bike over for damage. The wheels took basically all the damage as far as they could tell. The front worse than the back. But both need replacing. Luckily it seems like the fork and frame are okay.
The majority of the damage was to the guy who did the rear ending; cosmetically at least. His hood was all kinds of crumpled and lights busted. The inspector will be able to take a look at my car tomorrow morning and make a better assessment than my uneducated guessing. I was pushed into the guy in front of me so there's a bit of minor damage to the front and to the back of the third guys car too. Good thing there's a little something called insurance. 

My biggest concern at the moment, since my car is still drivable, is how and when I'm going to get the bike wheels fixed.  I hope to know more tomorrow after talking to the inspector and calling my insurance company with the bike estimate. What a pain. 

I ended up not going back to work. The accident happened just before 1pm and I then after waiting for the cops to come, do their report, call my insurance, take my car to the inspector for the bike pics and then going to the bike shop, it was well after 4pm. If you look closely at this last picture you can tell what type of car hit me. 

UPDATE: Looks like my frame was dented a bit under the top tube. Didn't notice at first but it's definitely damaged. Still waiting on the bike shop to give me an estimate on damages and repairs.  Hopefully they can give me an idea of the value lost by the dent as it's not fixable. It may be still ridable, but it's definitely worth less in monetary value if I were to try and sell the frame. Should be fun dealing with the insurance company. :rolleyes:

No comments: