Pages

7/26/12

New Blog?

Feedback time. Should I have 2 blogs? One with "what I did over the weekend" and another for "health and wellness topics?" Or keep it simple with one site and include both? Cast your vote!

1 Blog or 2


I'll tell you about today which is both... I'm volunteering at Appomattox Area Health and Wellness Center just south of Petersburg, VA. I've been working on Thursdays, helping out with diabetes counseling, and weight management, which a lot of times end up being very similar recomendations. Imagine that. It's a little tough though, because they heavily promote the DASH diet, and the MyPlate.gov information, which I disagree with. I do need to get better about finding the commonalities, and quit harping on the differences between my reading and their info. Karen has been great about helping with that mental barrier.
It's been really cool though. I've learned quite a bit about how to deal with a tough population, and real world issues, like safety around patients neighborhoods, transportation issues, and money restrictions. It'd be nice to tell everyone to eat all organic, and grass fed meat, and the like, but that's just not physically possible. It's been eye opening and very interesting.
I'll have to wait and see what days I can work there in future after I get signed up for a (couple?) fall classes.

Alright, so that was really just a "what I'm doing" post, but it relates to health and wellness. The meat of a second blog would mostly be article summaries, and why you shouldn't believe the low fat, low carb, low cholesterol hype. Maybe some pictures of what I eat. Like this one. Lamb steak and eggplant; peeled, sliced, doused in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper (a la Karen). Delicious.


1 comment:

psmith.co said...

Yay for 2 blogs -- it's unanimous!