Pages

3/13/12

Donors, chili and adventure movies

The WSJ had an article the other day scaring people out of being organ donors. Fear mongering is everywhere. Along with the "red meat causes cancer" article in my other post, this takes a little information, and distorts it into something horrible and scary, and people read this and think to themselves they are better informed. Keep digging folks.

Friday night Richmond hosted the Banff Mountain Film Festival. Tickets sold out incredibly quickly even though they recently started charging a nominal fee for tickets. I just wish they'd make the other videos available for distribution. The only video I've been able to find that we saw part of was All I Can. Close to 3 hrs of outdoor adventures, from skiing to kayaking and trekking 10,000 kilometers following the footsteps of Genghis Khan on a horse with a dog for 3+ yrs alone. Crazy. Very cool films.

For those of you who know me well, it's a good thing you're sitting down... On Saturday, I. went. for. a. run.
Yeah, I know. I signed up for this Primal Mud Run a few weeks back and started "training." I feel like I'm in decent shape, with biking and some occasional climbing and recent re-entry into lifting and I don't do a whole lot of sitting (except at work). But I figured I needed to get my legs used to the motion of running for more than half a block with the dog. So I went for a run that was just a hair over a mile. I went all out and wore my barefoot shoes (no I didn't pay nearly that much for them), which means you end up running a bit more on your toes and your forefoot absorbs the impact instead of your heels. All I can say is that my calves are still sore on Tuesday. The race is only 4 miles and there will be plenty of stops in between to complete the obstacles, but I'm starting to think I'm glad it's not any longer. Need to work up to a couple miles without wanting to amputate my legs the day after.

The dinner party Sat. night was really nice. Met some more really nice people who are also into climbing and biking and had a great time playing "Catch phrase." An intense team game where you give clues to your teammates about the phrase you're given and they have a short time to guess the words. There's lots of yelling, laughing and acting by some. Good times. We had chili for dinner, with a nice addition of homemade hot sauce and dried cherries. Turned out really well! And dessert, was delicious too! Good food, good company, good times.