Pages

5/15/11

Freedom Park, Williamsburg, VA

The weather forecast said rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So I switched my day off on Friday with Thursday. Kirk and I met just south of Williamsburg at Freedom Park to go riding.  Luckily, at the same time we were getting ready in the parking lot, a guy with the same truck as Kirk pulled up. We started chatting with him because of the vehicle and the fact he was obviously about to go riding.

He was a local and rode there often, so he offered to show us around the trails. We were more than happy to have a trail guide but we were a little intimidated when he responded "the more difficult, the better" to our questions about what kind of riding he liked to do.  He probably could've ridden faster if we weren't following, but he was happy to have someone to ride with.

We've been down to Asheville, up to Diablo, Highland Park, and Kingdom trails in the past year which were all spectacular in their own way and so I think I've gotten a little spoiled with awesome trails. And there are a lot of fun trails in VA we've ridden as well, but I can say without hesitation, this was the most fun I've had riding within a 5 hr. radius.

I haven't ridden the Buttermilk trail or any of the James River trails in a couple years now, but as far as jumps and bridges and fun obstacles, Freedom park is the place to be. The jumps were built so well, they were easy and super fun. Kirk did "The Big Easy" and that picture there was supposed to be a video, but my dumb gloved fingers chose the wrong setting. It's hard to get a good idea of scale there, but my bike is laying on the ground on the left side of the picture.  We'll just say it was big.

I hit everything else that was smaller, which were still pretty big, and had fun attempting the long wooden bridges. We rode for an hour and a half on the trails with man made obstacles. There are at least two other trails we didn't even see, so there's plenty of riding to be done there. After riding that trail though, I'm not sure if I'd want to do any others. It was just so much fun, the others would seem boring. I really am looking forward to going back.

No comments: